Saturday 26 September 2009

Jiminy Wilikers Batman!!

For the fainter of heart amongst you reading this I might advise you to discontinue reading this entry now. I might advise you to do that...but then that wouldn't be any fun at all would it?!

I decided to dedicate a page of our little blog to my latest unusual experience while traveling in South East Asia. Unlike the Giardiasis that I endured for the first 3 weeks (yuk),the heat rash that hit me for a few days, the snake in my shower and the various creepy crawlies that one encounters, I could find no respite or information online about my most recent clash with nature.

It all started on a sweltering night in Chiang Mai. I had awoken in the night with the most unholy itch that I have ever experienced, on the sole of my foot. I switched on the light and had a look. "The little bastard" I thought to myself, some mozzie had nabbed me at least 3 times in a neat little row. And GOD did it itch. I slapped on some tiger balm and jumped back into bed, enduring a restless sleep.

The next day Richie, Kev and I set off for our 3 day trek in the jungles around Chiang Mai. The bites were irritating at this point but bearable. After 2 days of clambering through jungle terrain and slipping and sliding through hills and valleys, however, my bites were starting to get to me. But a plaster and some cortisone cream seemed to calm the itch somewhat. After the 3 days of trekking it was a relief to return to Chiang Mai and get a shower and a bed again.

I removed my plaster and had a good look at the "bites" which before had appeared to be 3 or 4, now looked more in the region of 9 or 10. On a more in depth inspection I noticed that the "bites" appeared in places to be pulsating and were completely untouchable on account of the severe itching. Needless to say that this pulsating un-nerved me somewhat! But Richie assured me that I was over reacting and that a few whiskeys would sort me right out...at least he was right about one thing.

The next day I rose with a head that felt as heavy as a bag of hammers but my foot was my main priority. On removal of my plaster, not only were there more bites but they all appeared to have lined up and were clearly pulsating, almost like a throbbing. There could be no doubt; his was no mozzie bite!!

Another possible source of Jim

Nearly forgetting my hangover I dashed to the pharmacy across the road from our hostel. In typical Thai custom my pharmacist offered me a large smile and a nod of the head and assured me "Ooooh yes this is worm!" I felt less than happy at this fact, although her smile would make any passer by think that perhaps she was telling me I had just stepped on a diamond mound and I had a number of extremely rare and expensive stones in my foot and was about to be a very rich woman.

It turned out to be a hookworm, so she put me on a course of albendazole 200mg, 2 tablets in the morning, 2 in the evening and no alcohol (as an Irish backpacker this was the worst insult), for 3 days. With some anti fungal cream to alleviate the itch. I thought it appropriate at this stage to name the little blighter as we were to be sharing a foot for the next while. Richie had the most inventive idea and he was not so lovingly christened "Footworm Jim"

By day 2 of the course of albendazole I had noticed that the bites were still itchy but it was clear that the worm was not migrating any further along the sole of my foot. The red line decreased gradually and in the space of roughly a week it was visible where the hookworm had laid his little worm head to rest for his eternal slumber. It is about a month on now and all that is left is a small bump...a Jim bump....a jump.

If you have come across this page as a result of googling your very own Jim-festation, I would like to reassure you that while it is uncomfortable, itchy, and well....a little bit icky, it is extremely treatable. I had nightmares about having to have Jim surgically removed or some horror story like that but it is really not all that bad.

To all the rest of you who have not had the misfortune of a Jimfestation, it can happen from walking barefoot in the sand. So maybe on those romantic strolls down Sandymount, perhaps leave on the old adidas to be on the safe side.

Meet Jim!

I am more worried about my dreadfully unkempt hippy feet now!

A bit of a closer look on "him"

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh I almost feel sorry for Jim! He did look like a fine healthy 'worm' specimen though ...eeeewww! I hope your medical troubles are over now Tammy xxx Paula.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well what can I say? Well I know what I could say... but I'll resist! It is just so dreadfull. I do not know how you could go through such an ordeal. And poor Richie! To have to see you going through it.. I mean a full 3 days without booze! My heart goes out to you.
    XX Mum

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear your thoughts and stories from home!